Wednesday 9 November 2011

Simple Pleasures - Our Floating Bookshelf!

Last night marked the fourth year in a row that I've attended the Giller Light Bash with my girlfriends.

It's become something of a tradition to attend each fall, and as usual we had a great time schmoozing with publishing folk, dining on tiny delicious h'ordeuvres, and joining in on the excitement as the Giller Prize winner was announced.

[Photo By: Dominique Lamberton for the Toronto Standard]

This year's event was held at The Burroughes Building, right in my neighbourhood, and as far as my dancing shoes and I are concerned, it was a huge success!

I've never been a huge reader myself, and only pick up books here and there (usually with a recommendation from one of my sisters or friends) so when I do polish off a new novel it becomes something of a trophy for me and I adore having "my books" around me or on display around the house.



I'm fairly sure everyone in my family has the ever-reliable Billy Bookshelf from Ikea, myself/Marc included, but this past year we bought into a cool new way of displaying our books...

The floating shelf!


This shelf cost a whopping $15 at Indigo and while we only have one of its kind at the moment, not a soul walks into our house for the first time without asking about it.

It's just one of those silly things that catches your eye or makes you think, but most importantly adds a little fun to your space!

What do you think? Do you display your books in a way that thinks outside of the typical shelf or coffee table box?

KLI

6 comments:

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Cool! I actually want to do a whole strip of walls with these, so it's a massive floating book shelf! How many books fit on one bracket?

Krista Illies said...

That would look awesome, Shan! Where in your house? Right now I think ours is holding up about 7 or 8 books... not too shabby! :)

Carolyn Wood said...

I love that idea! I have a space between the two windows in my piano room that I had planned to put some kind of bookcase, but the heat register is there, which limits my options. This would fit perfectly (and look amazing!). Thanks Krista!

Krista Illies said...

Awesome! Glad I could help, Carolyn! Is this in your new place? I'd love to see what you do with it! :)

Adding the finishing touch said...

I love the floating bookshelf! Great idea and something I would love to add to our new place.

Mary said...

Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com